Thursday, January 14, 2010

Goodbye Old Friend

Right now I am reading about 2-3 books a week, give or take. I realize this will be hard to keep up with, should I one day have regular followers. Well have no fear! School starts next week and I am enrolled in a History class. As we all know that will involve a lot of reading, so that will slow my recreational reading to a normal level.

I am also considering implementing some kind of order in which I read these books. Again, to make it easier for any would-be followers. The trick to this is that like I've said, I usually get my books from my local used book stores. It's always a bit of a hit and miss there, but that's part of the fun, isn't it?? I'm sure I will be able to figure something out. If I do, I will update the reading list in the order that I will go. Also I thought about maybe adding a place where people can send in book's they'd like me to read?? Keep an eye out for changes to come.

********

I wish I had brought my hot chocolate mix into work today. Might have been nice to have that instead of coffee, since I will be finishing TCLC today. Maybe I can go over lunch and snap some up....

Today I am starting Getting Rid Of Matthew by Jane Fallon. Helen has been with Matthew for years, despite the fact that he's married to Sophie. As the big 4-0 creeps ever closer for Helen, she decides she's had enough. It's time she dumps him. That's when Matthew shows up on her doorstep, telling her he left his wife for her. But as he starts to move in, it becomes blindingly apparent to Helen that this won't work. If only she can get Sophie to take him back.....

********


Okay,so I am only on chapter 5 but I MUST say; it's a little hard to follow at first. Jane also tells this story from multiple perspectives, but her writing style is difficult to keep up with. In most books, the perspectives usually changes each chapter, and our brains are all lined up for the switch in gears. Jane simply uses a new paragraph, so I found myself having to re-read things a time or two before I figured out what was going on. It's not enough for me to want to stop reading it (yet), But it's a bit distracting. I think I am getting a better handle on her writing style as the book goes on. And I will cut her some slack since this is her debut novel.

1 comment:

  1. You can get used books at Amazon.com, if you ever need a specific title that you can't find at a used book store.


    Also, I wouldn't mind reading about your history assignments, but then again, I'm kind of a nerd.

    ReplyDelete